Saturday, June 11, 2011

We are getting close now!!!


Hello all,

Ok, so the photo you see above is a section of map in my Ultima 1 Revisited program! I have FINALLY figured out how to display 200 tiles from a section of the Ultima map on the screen and it is ALL programmed is Assembly! Is that cool or what? I think I will be able to figure out how to move around the map by this weekend. No promises but I am close!

On the next post I will explain just how I had to create each shape/tile. I know I explained about creating shapes earlier in the blog but I was using a specific shape creation program. For assembly you need to create each shape and turn it from graph paper, to binary, and finally to HEX. Pain in the a$$ process but it works great because you can use different colors for the shapes. I will be staying with the original colors that were in Ultima 1 and not using the colors that are found in the Ultima rewrite.

Here is a quick example of one of the shapes:


Also, I will be posting the Excel maps when they are completed. The files have the entire [4] maps created from separate tile images and placed in individual cells in an excel sheet. I have to say that it looks pretty cool to be able to see the entire Ultima map on the screen in one shot. Very cool!

Here is an example of the excel map:



I can't wait to be able to post all the code and show a video of a character moving around the screen on a generated Ultima 1 Map!

Well, I have to get back to programming but I just wanted to let you all know just how close we are to see it all work!

Joe





No comments:

Post a Comment